Monday, August 17, 2009

Bushmills Original - Irish Whisky



Irish whisky can be distinguished from scotch due to the total absence of peat flavours. And for that reason, Irish whisky is always a nice diversion from scotch (Scottish whisky).


I first read about Bushmills in old adventure novels written by Jack Higgins, the author of "The Eagle Has Landed." Invariably, his novels had an Irish character whose choice drink was Bushmills. So, it has always been on my "list" (not a written one, but rather one occupying part of a scarce brain cell) to try. This year I stumbled upon it in the nearby liquor store and soon it found a new home in mine.

Suggested Serving
There are a number of ways to try this. First, by itself or "neat" as those trendy people dress in black turtlenecks in coffee shops would say. A drop or two of distilled water added can bring out some interesting flavours. Finally, an ice cube works too.

Nose
Hot chocolate.

Palate
A nutty flavour chased by maple syrup flavoured porridge, which plateaus into lightly sugared short bread cookie.

Finish
A little zing of dark chocolate and malt (think "cereal") that lingers ever so briefly.

Impressions
I like this and I can't imagine how anyone would not on some level. It is not strong, burning or medicinal like inexpensive whisky can be. The body is light, not complex, but nevertheless, enjoyable. This whisky is triple distilled which produces a very smooth dram. I keep thinking about the nutty flavour. This is great to serve after a heavy meal for those dinner guests who want to sip something pleasant but different. A great gift that will surprise the casual scotch/whisky or bourbon drinker.

If I were to voice a common criticism of this blended whisky, it would be the rather simple flavor profile. Not a lot of complex flavors going on here. This particular Bushmills offering is the "White Label" which is their most basic, entry level offering. Accordingly, it has mass appeal and offends no one. Great as an ingredient in mixed drinks or for the novice scotch/whisky drinker looking to put his/her toe in the great pond of the spirits universe. Finally, I just got this gut feeling that this is one the ladies would like too.

Cheers!

P.S.  I prefer Bushmills White label to Jameson's standard bottling any day.

© Jason Debly, 2009-2011. All rights reserved.

16 comments:

  1. That's so funny, I bought it for exactly the same reason (after reading the Eagle has landen). I tried the malt though, which I am really enjoying actually.

    Cheerz, Boris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Talk about a coincidence Boris. "Devlin" was the name of the Bushmills drinking Irish character that appeared in many of Higgins novels. 'A Prayer for the Dying' is another great Higgins novel. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jason, just thought I'd check out and bomb the comments of this ye olde post of yours. From what I remember from the one bottle I purchased a couple of years back, this whiskey Really benefits from giving the bottle some time to mingle with oxygen. I recall finding the first couple of tastings a bit spirity, evidently young, and not tasting far removed from the likes of the Michael Collins I tried some time back as well (a very cheap but also quite stomach churning Irish whisky). I took about a week off from the stuff, came back to it, poured a dram, and the alcohol bite toned down to just about null, and the fudgy, chocolately dessert flavors moved a lot further into the foreground. Turned into a very nice dessert whisky then. Cheers, and hope you're in good health.
    -Yochanan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yochanan, some whiskies improve once opened while others are unchanged and still others deteriorate.

    Bushmills white label is a nice economy whisky. Classic Irish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bushmill's might be the most boring whiskey I have ever tried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, I can't say I agree.

      However, I understand how you could hold that opinion. Bushmills white label is not a complex flavor profile. If you think it is boring, I wonder what is it boring in comparison too? Are you comparing it to say Jameson no-age-statement and other entry level Irish whiskies. Or, are you comparing it to a 12 year old Irish or Scotch whisky? If you are then I would argue it is not a fair comparison.

      For the price and the market segment (entry level Irish whisky) I think Bushmills white label is a good product.

      Delete
  6. Sean Dillon is a main character in a lot of Higgins books. Those books are where I first heard of the Bushmills and now it is my preferred choice of whiskey. Black Bush or Bushmills Honey...neat or with Mountain Dew...yes, I said, Mountain Dew...hahaha, try it, you will like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mountain Dew? You gotta march to the beat of your own drum!

      Delete
  7. What is oak quality like? And is there a round malty heat explosion back palate given they a lot less malt then Blackbush? I think batches can be different from heaven to quite bitter and alcoholic and a tougher oak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blackbush is not particularly what I would describe as laden with oak flavors. As for how to describe oak, I guess it is difficult as I know it when I taste it. Think of red wine that has a heavy oak influence like "Silver Oak" of Napa Valley. It is well 'oak'. Talk about a circular argument.

      Certainly there can be variation from batch to batch. It is possible as whiskey is ultimately an organic substance as opposed to say a metallurgical substance. Anyway, I have not noticed much variation in Blackbush.

      Cheers!

      Delete
  8. I just bought some and its better then the teachers highland cream. Im new to whiskey and scotch but i like this one and i like chivas regal 12 and i like jack daniels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the world of whisky and this blog! Feel free to comment or pose a question anytime!

      Delete
  9. Greetings! I just noticed that my local liqour warehouse has a Bushmills "Red Bush" on sale for $16.99. Have you heard of or tried this one? Curious as to what it's supposed to be and if it's worth purchasing. Otherwise, I can get a Bushmills white label with a bonus 50 ml Black Bush for the same price.

    I haven't had the white label either, but I have had the Black Bush and I found it quite tasty. The sherry cask finish and higher malt content are notable. Similar almost to a single malt scotch. Higher price point obviously than the entry level Bushmills but still good for the price, I think. I only wish it was bottled at a somewhat higher proof. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not tried the Red Bush which appears to be a newly launched economy release that is intended for ice and mix.

      Try the White Label first. A little more grainy than Black Bush and aged exclusively in exbourbon casks so no sherry influence. I suspect you will prefer the Black Bush. Let me know how you find it.

      Delete
    2. I picked up a bottle of the Bushmills "white label" and gave it a try. I brought it to a buddy's house who grabbed two rocks glasses and poured it over ice. I did not care for it much. We then had a bourbon. But later, I went home with the bottle and gave it a second chance, neat in a snifter. I have to say I quite enjoyed it in that fashion. I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised. It may become if not a semi-regular buy, at least a periodic one. Definitely prefer it to Jameson's and may even take the place of some of my usual blended scotches. Can't afford single malt all of time.

      Black Bush is surely tastier, but at a good premium. Still, I was surprised at how much I do like the entry level white label. In either case, I wish they could up the proof a little, like even to 86. That's really my only gripe is that it needs a little more oomph.

      Delete
    3. Glad you liked the old White Label. It really is gentle enough that even someone who usually adds ice to their whisky could start drinking it neat.

      Yeah, a higher ABV would be great but not likely as it would cause the producer to pay higher taxes.

      Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts. Readers and I appreciate it!

      Delete